Sunday 25 October 2015

Whiplash Movie Review

If I could say everything I wanted to about this movie then I would never stop talking. Whiplash made me want to get off my arse and go and achieve something with my life. I am honestly left in awe by how brilliantly executed this feature was. This film contains the most perfect casting decisions that ever could have been made. Miles Teller and J K Simmons Lived, Breathed, Were these characters. J K received an Academy Award for his portrayal of dictatoresque, jazz conductor, Terence Fletcher which was much deserved. I do feel for Miles Teller though who I believe was completely overlooked during last years awards ceremonies, as he deserved much wider recognition for his role as the self assured, ambitious drummer, Andrew Neiman.

Directed by Damien Chazelle
The film's major themes discuss sacrifice, perseverance and the ethics behind Fletcher's teaching methods. Watching the character of Andrew battle through his outer demons and potential distractions was admirable. He knew his goals. He knew what it would take to achieve them. He knew no one was going to stop him. Andrew sacrificed a relationship, friends and time to become 'the greatest drummer of the century.' I think the main question behind it all though was, 'Is It All Worth It?'


"I'd rather die drunk, broke at 34 and have people at a dinner table talk about me than live to be rich and sober at 90 and nobody remember who I was."



Andrew flicks his relationship with girlfriend, Nicole, to the side mid-film. At the end of the film, he calls Nicole and invites her on a date to see him play the drums at a jazz concert to justify his reason for breaking up with her. During that phone call, he regretfully discovers that Nicole is now content in a new relationship. After Andrew hangs up the phone, the camera lands on his face for around 15 seconds as we watch the consequences of his actions earlier in the film, really hit home. He realised that the world isn't going to wait for him and that as he evolves and becomes Great, everyone else is going to move on without him.

Fletcher's non-ethical teaching methods have been widely talked about but I'm going to mention a detail that I picked up on after re-watching the film. Neiman's name. In the opening scene when our two principle characters meet, our protagonist introduces himself as, 'Andrew Neiman,' pronounced, 'Nay-man.' There is also a second scene where he pronounces his name this way. Throughout the entire film, Fletcher calls Andrew, 'Knee-man,' over and over again. This is just one example of Fletcher using language to dictate power and dominance over Andrew and not once in the film does Andrew correct him. Having a sometimes difficult name to pronounce myself, I understand how it can really get under your skin when somebody consistently mispronounces your name, even after correcting them. Looking back, I feel that this is one of Fletcher's very clever tactics that he uses to really grate on and give purpose to his musical protege .

I've heard some negative comments about the editing however, I for one loved it! I loved how it was choppy and stop-starty, I thought that it really reflected the whole jazzy feel. I also love when editors and directors aren't afraid to leave the camera on one character whilst another is talking. I think it's a really brave choice, and when done well goes by near enough unnoticeable. There's also a very clear golden note to this film in many of the shots featuring Andrew, which I like to believe represents his goals of stardom and success.

To me, the main ingredients to a cracking film are the dialogue and the character's relationships. Both of these things were so strong and clear throughout Whiplash which I think is one of the key reasons as to why I loved it so much! The relationship between Neiman and Fletcher is both abusive yet paternal which I think is why it can be so uncomfortable to watch at times. Fletcher can switch from being a sincere, supportive father like figure for Andrew to suddenly becoming a dire, intimidating, enemy. In certain scenes, you'd think you could trust Fletcher but in reality, you should really think twice. 

Overall, this film really excited me and it gave everything I could want in a film! Its characters are some of the most interesting I've seen in a while as it's clear that they weren't written to be liked, they were written to make you feel. I can't leave this review without mentioning the final 10 minutes which summed up the spirit of the film and who the characters had become in the most unique way that I had never seen before. It was such a brave choice to finish the film how it did and I have so much respect for that finale. Whiplash is a truly inspiring experience that grabs your attention and doesn't let it go until the final credits start to roll. Bit of rhyme for you there eh;)

Favourite Quote: TURN MY PAGES, BITCH!

Let me know what you think of Whiplash and I'll talk to you all soon!

-Liv:)

No comments:

Post a Comment